Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.
The mast was one of the first things I took off the boat. It is one of the last things for me to refit. I’ve decided to redo all the wireing inside the mast, repaint it, and replace all the lights. That means about 6 pair of wires and the antennae wire.
Here’s how it looked:
The first thing I did was to remove all the stainless hardware and the old lights. After the stainless and lights came the inevitable sanding, sanding, and yet more sanding. A previous owner had used a brush to paint and had left brush marks that looked quite awful, so I spent a bit more time on this trying to get the old brush marks sanded out.
Once the sanding was done it was time to paint. I started with a spray gun because spray gives a MUCH nicer finish that a brush or roller. However, the paint was too thick and the gun could not handle the paint and basically exploded. So I ended up using a roller. The roller job doesn’t look too bad and above about 10 feet you can’t see the imperfections anyway.
So up to now the mast is stripped, sanded and painted.
As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.