Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.
The wood working projects on the boat are moving along quickly enough that they are bumping into each other. I seem to be doing work on the Bowsprit, Boomkin, and Sampson Posts at the same time.
Work on the Sampson posts was one of the first projects I started but they were put away while I worked on other projects like the rudder cheeks, the bowsprit, and boomkin. The sampson posts have been hauled out of the locker, dusted off, sanded and work on them has commenced again.
The reason for this is that all of these projects are at a point where I’m doing similar work on all of them. For instance, I’m giving all of them a coat or two of penetrating epoxy. It just makes good sense to do all of them at the same time.
I had decided a while ago to inlay a ring of fiberglass around the sampson posts where they go through the deck. The reason being that the old ones showed quite a bit of wear at that point. This would allow water to seep in and penetrate both the deck, and the posts. No good. It also would be a compounding problem. The more they wore, the more play which would create more wear, and so on. Rot is a bad thing on a sail boat so I thought I would give a preemptive treatment to the posts.
The boomkin pieces are basically done. They need a final sanding and a coat of resin before being mounted on the boat but they are ready.
The bowsprit still needs some drilling and fitting before being ready to go back on but it won’t take too long to accomplish that.
Anyway here’s how things look:
As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.